Looking For Ways To Cut Moving Costs?
Are you Looking for ways to save money on your next move? We don’t blame you. Worrying about moving expenses can make a move even more stressful. Fortunately, there are less expensive ways to handle a move. From packing yourself, hiring labor-only movers, to renting a shipping container, it’s possible to move without breaking the bank. Here are a few ways to cut costs when it’s time to move:
Ways to Cut Costs When It’s Time To Move
- Get rid of excess/unwanted items – The best way to save money on a move is to get rid of all unnecessary items. Generally the more you have, the more money it will cost to move. Since movers calculate the cost of your move on weight, the less you have the better. If you are going to rent a truck or move yourself, less items will require a smaller and cheaper truck. You’ll want to start the pre-move purging process as early as you can. A good place to start is cleaning out your closet and then come up with a decluttering plan for each room. Donating unnecessary furniture, knick-knacks and clothing will cut down on weight. If you’re looking to sell items, try hosting a garage sale, listing them on KLS, or Facebook marketplace. For more advice on how to get rid of your belongings, check out the step-by-step guide from moving.com.
- Find free boxes – A simple way to cut costs is to find free boxes and supplies from large chain stores, liquor stores, grocery stores, office buildings or recycle centers. You can also find free supplies on KSL, Nextdoor.com or Facebook groups. Another tip to consider if you end up paying for boxes-figure out exactly how many boxes you’ll need by using a Packing Calculator.
- Rent a moving container – Renting a portable container is another great option when you don’t want to hire full-service movers. The rental cost for a portable container will depend on the size and length of time needed. When moving with a container, all you have to do is load the container and then the container company will take care of the rest.
- Pack yourself – You’d be surprised how much money you can save by packing yourself. Many professional movers offer some sort of packing assistance. Some movers give the option for you to pack and then they can do the rest. Packing rates will vary from company to company, but you can count saving some money if you do it yourself.
- Choose a less expensive move date – The timing of your move can make all the difference when it comes to the cost of your relocation. In general, it’s best to choose for a mid-month or mid-week time for your move. The demand for moving companies is generally lower during this time, therefore the pricing will most likely be less. Keep in mind that most people move during the summer- about 70% of moves happen between Memorial Day and Labor Day. So, it’s best to avoid moving during the peak season if you can. Instead, try scheduling a late fall to early spring to save on costs. Give yourself enough time to get multiple moving quotes and allow enough time to wait for the best offers. Movers are usually booked 6-8 weeks out, so it’s best to give yourself at least two months to plan.
- Obtain quotes from multiple movers – We recommend obtaining quotes from at least three different movers. Each company should provide an in-person inspection or a video survey of your belongings before giving you a quote. Make sure the movers are aware of any specialty items that require extra care to provide the most accurate quote. In addition, be sure to check reviews online and ask family and friends for recommendations for a reliable and reputable company.
Consider Hiring a Salt Lake City Moving Company
Considering an out of state move to or from Salt Lake City, Utah? Whether you’re moving across town, across the country or to another part of the world, you’ve come to the right place. A1-Pioneer Moving & Storage has been one of the top Salt Lake City movers since 1958. We understand the process of moving can be overwhelming and stressful. Fortunately, you don’t have to do this on your own. As an Interstate Agent for Wheaton World Wide Moving we pride ourselves on our ability to meet all your local & long distance needs. When it’s time to move, be sure to give A-1 Pioneer Moving & Storage a call today at (801) 997-9976. Whether you need help packing, moving, storing or all all three, we’re ready to help make your move easier!