Moving Soon? Get Organized for a Smooth & Easy Move
Moving in general tends to be a stressful experience no matter where you are moving to. The good news is that it doesn’t have to be. Whether you are moving across town or across the country, moving is a big event that can have its challenges. The secret is to be prepared. The more organized and prepared you are for your move, it will ensure a more pleasant moving experience. So, before you pack the truck or have local movers come to your home, it’s important to get organized. Taking the time to plan and get organized ahead of time will pay off when it comes to moving day. We’ve come up with a few organizational tips to help you have a successful moving day.
Start Researching Local Movers & Then Use These Time Savers
Even though moving can be exciting, it can also be stressful and overwhelming. The most important thing you can do is use your time before moving day to prepare as much as possible. Last-minute and unplanned packing can lead to unorganized boxes and confusion for everyone involved. By using your time wisely you can skip the added stress from procrastinating and rushing from one house to the next. After hiring local movers, here are a few things you can do in advance to alleviate added stress and save time:
- Download Helpful Apps that are designed to make moving easier. Some examples of apps include 1. Nextdoor: It helps you stay connected with what’s happening in your neighborhood, and it’s a 100% private social media app for community news, events, and networking. 2. Sortly: This app was created to help you stay organized during a move and skip the chaos. With Sortly, you can categorize items by room and keep track of it with a moving checklist, and much more. 3. LetGo: it is used to sell items you don’t need. 4. Wunderlist: This app allows you to create to-do lists, reminders, etc. to assist you with errands and tasks to keep you organized. 5. TaskRabbit: Chances are you’ll need some work done on your home before moving day. TaskRabbit will match you with freelance labor for any type of repairs or projects. 6. Magicplan: Magic Plan is an iOS app that lets you create floor plans in a unique and fast way. By using the camera of your device you can turn around and mark the corners of your space. When you are finished, Magic Plan creates a floor plan to fit your furniture! Amazing!
- Create A Moving Binder to hold anything documents you may need during the move. This includes contact information, receipts, estimates, contracts, to-do lists, and much more. This will be your saving grace during a move. Having all your documents in one place will save you time and make your life much easier.
- Create A Moving Checklist way in advance, we would recommend at least 6 weeks prior to your move date. This checklist should include important information that includes the date and time for your move, dates for transferring utilities when to pack each room, and any other important reminders you need to stay organized.
- Start Decluttering As Soon As Possible so you don’t move more than you have to. Get rid of anything you don’t use or don’t really need. You can sell items online on KSL.COM or Facebook Marketplace. You can also host a yard sale or donate your furniture or unwanted items to a local charity, Savers or Deseret Industries.
Not Hiring Local Movers? Then Start Gather Moving Supplies
The moving process will be much easier if you have everything you need to start packing in one place. Start gathering boxes and all of your important tools well in advance so you’ll be ready to start packing. We recommend putting all packing supplies in a box, including labels or permanent markers, a box cutter, a good pair of scissors, and quality packing tape. It’s a good idea to start asking family and friends if they have any boxes or you can also visit your local grocery store. Stores are usually happy to give away moving boxes if you just ask. It’s important to get various sizes of boxes for your large and small items. You can also ask your local movers for boxes, they usually have them at affordable prices. If you decide to hire movers, the boxes are included in the moving quote.
Let The Packing Begin
Once you have everything gathered together, you can start the packing process. The sooner you start packing, the better since packing usually takes a lot longer than you think. Moving day will also go much faster when everything is organized and already packed. Follow these helpful packing tips to ensure a successful move:
- Make sure you don’t overpack your boxes since full and oversized boxes are heavy and awkward to move. Instead, pack your items in reasonably sized boxes according to the weight of your items. For heavier items, you’ll want to choose smaller boxes. This way you don’t end up stuffing the boxes too full and making them way too heavy.
- Start packing items you don’t currently use or won’t need right away. These non-essential items include collectibles, artwork, and out of season clothing. It’s important to remember the sooner you start packing, the faster the move will go later. Be sure to keep frequently used items out (like toiletries, medications, and bedding) and wait to pack them until the very last day before moving.
- It’s also a good idea to disassemble any furniture you’re not currently using and pack all the parts. You can wrap table legs in bubble wrap and place the hardware in a plastic bag. In order to keep them together, we recommend taping the bag of parts to the underside of the furniture.
Label Every Moving Box
It’s easy to forget to label your boxes as you’re packing when you have so much on your mind. Labeling your boxes is crucial. If you don’t know what’s in each box, you’ll be frustrated when it comes time to unpack. You can use box tags, labels or a permanent marker will also do the trick. It’s important to pack according to each room or each purpose. For example, pots and pans should be packed in a box labeled kitchen. You’ll want to repeat this process for each box and make it very clear what items are inside and where the items belong.
Take Inventory Of All Moving Boxes
Another important part of moving is creating an inventory of your belongings. You can easily do this by numbering all moving boxes and writing down the items you’re storing in each box on a piece of paper. This is a great way to easily access everything you need once you are finally moved in. When everything is labeled in advance, you’ll be able to easily grab what you need without having to go through every box.
Pack Luggage For The Move
Before everything is packed, use luggage to pack up important items that you’ll need for the first few days of your move. Your luggage should contain any items you will need right away including:
- Prescription medications for yourself, pets, or family members
- A change of clothes for at least a few days (including underwear and socks)
- Towels and washcloths
- Toiletries and cosmetics
- Your moving binder and checklist
- Smartphone chargers and any other device chargers you’ll need
- Your favorite snacks if you’re traveling for your move
Rely On The Best Local Movers
By following these few organization tips you can be ready and prepared for the big day. Always pack items as far in advance as possible and label each moving box. Decluttering your home before you move will make the process lighter and less expensive if you are hiring movers. With the right organization, planning, and a little prep work, you can ensure this major life event will be stress-free and a more enjoyable experience. For moving help, you can rely on A1 Pioneer Moving & Storage for local movers and long-distance movers. We can help you pack, move, or store your belongings if needed. Call A1 Pioneer Moving & Storage, the best Local Movers at (801) 997-9976.